Thursday, July 28, 2005

Wayne Grudems excellent book

I have just finished reading Wayne Grudems excellent book 'Evangelical Feminism & Biblical Truth'.
I know it has been out for a while, but I have only recently had a chance to read it.
Oh Joy, what an excellent reference work to refute the half truths and outright misinformation that some Egalitarians are trying to foist on an unsuspecting public.
The deliberate twisting and mis-representation of scripture in some of the books coming from the Egalitarian side is so saddening.
And no, I am not just taking Wayne Grudems word for everything. I do a lot of checking and reading of reference works and studies done by others. (and have done for many years on this issue and others)
What is in the book is not all news to me, but it brings it together in one place.
This book will go on my shelves next to my commentaries.
I only disagree with him on one point - I don't think women should be Deacons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mad Junkerton said...

Hi Glenn, I just happened across your blog. Your author interests are right up my alley. - although I am an infant when it comes to theology - but growing.

Can you give a brief exposite on why women shouldn't be Deacons - or maybe that tought can be summed up in guiding me to a book or author that sums up your view.

Thanks

Matt

12:04 pm  
Blogger Glennsp said...

Hello and welcome madunkerton,

I was basing my thoughts on the wording of 1 Tim 3:12, which follows the same format as 1 Tim 3:2 (in respect to 'Husband of one wife').
Now, having had an email interchange with Dr Thomas Schreiner I can see that I was being maybe a little too broad.
(seperate to the above)
The final issue would seem to depend on what sort of Church set up you are in.
If the particular set up gives Deacons authority and/or a teaching role where both men and women are involved then it is against the clear teaching of scripture.
If the set up has Deacons in a purely serving capacity involving no authority and/or teaching role (as above) then it would fall within the Biblical remit.

A good book would be 'Women in the Church: An Analysis of 1 Timothy 2:9-15' 2nd edition by Schreiner, Baldwin, Kostenberger, Yarbrough & Dorothy Patterson.
Anything by Wayne Grudem, John Piper, C J Mahaney
'Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth' by Wayne Grudem should definitely be on your shelf. In this book Dr Grudem gives very detailed answers to 118 objections from egalitarians + other material.

If you would like to check it out before buying then the whole book is online at http://www.efbt100.com/.

Please let me know if I can explain anything else I have said or if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to get in touch. Just remember to always be a Berean.
God bless

12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home