Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Wrong application?

As a break from the ESV and gender issues here is something that is close to my heart.
The statement in the Word that "by His stripes we are healed" is so often applied to physical healing, yet the context of the statement seems to me to apply the statement to spiritual healing.
Personally I think that that being healed spiritually is far more important that physical healing.
I am aware that making such a statement about the mis-application of this statement will probably be greeting with howls of horror in some quarters, but I firmly believe it to be the case.
I wouls just add at this point that this is no academic subject for me.
I have spent the last 4 years battling with Hep C and although the treatment was successful (treatment in my case lasted 6 months and was worse than the illness) I am still recovering and I still have 8 daily painkillers to wean off. Down from 21 a day last November when the treatment finished.
God has taught me so much over the last few years, what an amazing classroom. God is so good. I have gained so many insights and much understanding of perseverance.
Do not misunderstand me, I firmly believe that God heals and I have personally witnessed some amazing healings including the regeneration of a severely damaged lung.
Too many people these days have an atitude towards healing of 'I am a Christian therefore if I become ill I will be healed, it is my right as a Christian'.
Nowhere in scripture is that stated, healing yes, as a given right no. From all this comes the insidous belief that if you are not healed you must be steeped in unrepented sin.
Of course the heretical 'Health & Wealth' movement is not helping, but that is a whole other subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home